Eligibility: The Student Film Project is open to any student (U.S. or international), who as of January 1, 2013 is enrolled in a middle school or high school or who is currently enrolled at a community college, college or university.
Running Time: All films must be 5 minutes or less in length. Films lasting longer may render the submission as disqualified.
Format: Films from digital cameras, camcorders, and phones are all acceptable if they are in .wmv, .avi, .mov, or .mpg format. You may also shoot on 16mm, 35mm, or 70mm if you convert the film back to digital format and submit it digitally.
All submissions must include the Green Living Project logo at the end of the film. See resources to download official logo.
Submission Deadline: Entries must be uploaded by 11:59pm Pacific Standard Time, May 30, 2013.
The film must be the entrant’s original creation and must have been completed within two years of the submission deadline (after May 30, 2011).
Films that have been submitted to previous festivals, whether having won any awards or prizes, ARE acceptable. Participation and/or success in other competitions will not be considered in the judging process.
All entrants grant Green Living Project and it partners the right to use submitted films, stills and/or portions of films for educational and promotional purposes in Green Living Project associated events and media, including web distribution, newsletters, conferences and events, and television. Green Living Project also partners with similar student film festivals to share submissions and help gain further exposure for student work. Current film festival partners include the One Earth Film Festival and the Media Institute for Social Change. Student films may be submitted or screened at these and/or other festivals on the students’ behalf.
Upon the submission of a film, entrants must have completed and submitted the appropriate media release forms. Entrants under the age of 18 must also complete the Minor Release Form with guardian permission to participate in the Student Film Project.
An entry including content that violates the rights of third parties (including, but not limited to, rights of copyright), is deemed to be offensive, inappropriate, obscene, unlawful or otherwise objectionable will be disqualified.
Terms and Conditions:
1. ELIGIBILITY: No purchase necessary. FREE entry. Competition is open to all, who as of January 1, 2013 are students in middle school, high school or who are currently enrolled at a college or university. Void where prohibited. Entrant’s valid email address along with Required Submission Information is mandatory in order to win. Employees of Green Living Project and its affiliates and subsidiaries; their respective sales representatives, advertising, promotion and judging agencies of each are ineligible.
2. HOW TO ENTER: Visit the Green Living Project web site at www.greenlivingproject.com/studentfilmproject beginning 12:00AM (PST) March 13, 2013 through 11:59 PM (PST) on May 30, 2013 and follow the entry instructions. Green Living Project assumes no responsibility for computer system, hardware, software or program malfunctions or for other errors, failures, or delays in computer transmissions or network connections that are human or technical in nature, or for lost, late, incomplete or misdirected entries. All entries become the property of the Sponsor and none will be returned. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend this competition should virus, bugs or other causes beyond Sponsor’s control corrupt the administration, security or proper play of the competition.
3. WINNERS: Winners will be selected from all eligible entries. Up to one winner will be selected from each of three designated age groups (6th-8th grade, high school, college). Films will be judged based on creativity, content, storytelling, sustainability themes and overall quality. Green Living Project holds the right to alter number of winners per designated age groups, or not award prizes if films submitted do not meet judging criteria. All decisions are final on all matters relating to this competition. Odds of winning depend on the total number of eligible entries received.
4. PRIZES: Winning films will be screened at the San Francisco Green Film Festival from May 30-June 5, 2013 (exact date TBD). Winners will also receive a prize package from Student Film Project sponsors. Exact prizes may vary. Sponsors may include but are not limited to The North Face, Think Tank Photo, Lonely Planet, Mountainsmith, Pura Vida, Freewaters, and Sigg.
5. GENERAL CONDITIONS: This Competition is governed by the laws of the United States. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Winners will be notified by email. By entering, all entrants agree to abide by and be bound by these rules and the judges’ decisions, which are final and binding in all matters. Prizes are non-transferable. No cash redemptions or substitutions permitted, except by Sponsor, who may substitute a prize of equal or greater value if a featured prize becomes unavailable. Federal, state or local taxes on prizes are the sole responsibility of the winners. By participating and accepting a prize, so long as there is no legal prohibition, winner agrees to the use of his/her name, address, photograph, videotape or any likeness for advertising or publicity purposes and to the use of statements made by or attributed to him/her relating to Sponsor or this promotion, and releases any and all rights to said use without further compensation.
6. RELEASE OF LIABILITY: All entrants release Green Living Project and its affiliates, officers, directors, agents, employees and all others associated with the development and execution of this web site and competition from any and all liability with respect to or in any way arising from this competition and/or acceptance or use of the prizes, including liability for personal injury, death, damages, or loss. Sponsor is not responsible for prize quality or utility. Sponsor is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by web site users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Competition or by any technical or human error, which may occur in the processing of submissions in the Competition. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line-systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of email or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or combination thereof, including injury or damage to participants or to any person’s computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in this web site or Competition. Sponsor is not responsible for user cheating or fraud by any entrants. Any activities intended to disrupt or interfere with the proper play of the competition, or defraud sponsor in any way will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Participants engaging in any of the foregoing activities will be disqualified and will forfeit any prizes won. If, for any reason, the competition is not capable of running as planned, including without limitation infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Competition, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition.
7. DISPUTES: As a condition of participating in this Competition, participant agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Los Angeles County, California having jurisdiction, which Court shall apply the laws of the State of California without regard for doctrines of Conflict of Law. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages, including attorneys’ fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Competition), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
8. WINNERS LIST: For a Winners List, please check the Student Film Project website. Winners will be notified by email.
9. COMPETITION SPONSOR: The Student Film Project sponsor is Green Living Project, 5757 Tobias Avenue, Van Nuys, CA 91411.